Live Review: The War on Drugs, Rock City, Nottingham (01/03/15)

A packed out Rock City waits in anticipation. It’s a rare site to see such a diverse crowd; in the age of expensive gigs we live in the average attendee generally verges towards the elder than the younger. Tonight the range is wide and evenly spread, perhaps reflecting just how widereaching the appeal and success of last year’s Lost in the Dream actually was. 

Support act, Amen Dunes, could easily fool you into thinking they’re some of Adam’s mates who jumped on the tour bus in Philadelphia. The band are actually New Yorkers but you’d be hard-pushed to tell. Their dream-rock style sounds about as Philly as you can get; though their softer, more acoustic elements file them closer to Kurt Vile than The War on Drugs. While their mellow sounds make for very pleasurable listening, the band could do with a little more bite and stronger dynamics. With that said, potential is something they have in ample supply.

The same could have been said for The War on Drugs a few years ago. To many they were the band who had the substance to make it but couldn’t quite pull it off. Now, taking to the stage of Rock City seems like a trivial part of their relentless international touring.

The War on Drugs playing your city now comes across as them doing you a favour

Opening on ‘Hello, we’ve never played Nottingham before’ creates a Spinal Tap-esque atmosphere to open their set, though somehow it seems appropriate. Having got to the point where they cancelled their previous date in Nottingham to attend the BRIT awards, The War on Drugs playing your city now comes across as them doing you a favour.

Working their way through a set primarily primarily made up of Lost in the Dream material allows the band to give a display of status in front of an audience who know the songs all too well, whether by choosing to repeatedly listen to the record or having it forced upon them.

leaves the audience, as cliche as it may be, as putty in their hands

An impressive set it makes for too. Working with a combination of effective lighting and a few Slave Ambient songs added in leaves the audience, as cliche as it may be, as putty in their hands. Perhaps due to the trance like nature of their music it’s a show which fully absorbs you, whether you want to be or not.

The War on Drugs are at the top of their game right now and it’s plain to see in their live performances. Playing an hour and a half set followed by a substantially long encore it’s clear the band don’t lack confidence regarding what they can play. Roll on the Philadelphia renaissance.

Image source: Sputniktilt

Ian Fillingham

For more from Impact Music, check us out on Twitter