Gaming

Impact Plays: Rocket League

No longer do we have to partake in physical activity within video games as “soccer meets driving once again in the long-awaited, physics-based multiplayer-focused sequel to Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars! Pysonix’s latest title has over five million downloads since its July 7th release, and it’s easy to understand why.

“The grandeur of said stadiums is from what I can only imagine, to appease the imperialistic governing body of car football – serving as a fitting allegory of FIFA”

The format of the game is standard football, but in this re-imaging, humans are replaced with rocket powered cars. Matches themselves range from 1v1 to 4v4 players with each match taking five minutes long. Offering a single player league campaign and cross-platform multiplayer between PS4 and Windows PC, with the bonus of up to 4-player splitscreen, being able to play both locally and online.

“I get to feel like an oil-powered Lampard, arriving in the box late and ‘driving’ one home”

Aesthetically, it can be described precisely as ‘nice’. Graphically is very crisp, and although the lighting can be dazzling at times, the glitzy shaders and sun glare have luckily only caused three headaches so far.

The game of football takes place within monolithic stadia, to an audience of thousands of pastel coloured eggs. The grandeur of said stadiums is from what I can only imagine, to appease the imperialistic governing body of car football – serving as a fitting allegory of FIFA.

The gameplay itself is incredibly fun, competitive and addictive. You will encounter incredible goals, epic saves and colossal screwups on a regular basis. One of Rocket League’s strengths (and crucial to its mass appeal) rests in simplicity, where the only real learning curves are the ability to control mass and momentum of your vehicle and mastering flight. This is great for when I’m playing, as I get to feel like an oil-powered Lampard, arriving in the box late and ‘driving’ one home.

Rocket League is a well-polished game: mechanically it is flawless; contains good sound effects and the servers are lag free most of the time. And thus is highly refreshing, as it stands out in the sea of forever-beta and requires DLC games which are far too common today. It is clear from playing it that the game has been designed with no compromise on entertainment, where enjoyment of the user has been put before financial gain.

Liam Evans

Follow Impact Gaming on Facebook and Twitter

GamingGaming Reviews