WINNER ANNOUNCED: ISMAIL SADURDEEN IS YOUR SU PRESIDENT 2016-17

Ismail Sadurdeen has been elected as your new SU President for 2016-17.

Ismail was declared the winner after the seventh round of counting. With 4632 votes, Ismail beat Mary McCarthy in the final round of counting.

Ismail told Impact: “It’s hard to put my feelings into words, I never imagined that I would be elected as SU President.”

“I’m really glad that Nottingham has given me an opportunity to serve you as your president.”

“If you’re willing to put the hard work, the effort, you can do it”

When asked about the new International Officer Ismail said: “It doesn’t matter if you’re international or not, there are so many opportunities here in Nottingham and if you’re willing to try you can do anything in life. And that is what I realised today. If you’re willing to put the hard work, the effort, you can do it. So I’m super happy, super excited.”

When asked about the best part of his campaign Ismail commented: “The amazing people I met on the campaign trail and also my campaign team. I was a week one rep but that wasn’t as fun these last few months, the time, the energy, all credit goes to my campaign team. Without them I would not be here, doing this interview. I’m just so thankful for all their hard work.”

“People like politics but not politicians. I was able to get the balance right”

Impact asked about the role of Social media played in his campaign: “Combination of both manifesto and social media. I’ve got a really good manifesto, the next part of getting the manifesto out is marketing. Social media was the best way to get that out. That’s why we used the snapchat filter, made a nice video, the instagram and all the other media to get people interested. People like politics but not politicians. I was able to get the balance right.”

“There have been a lot of allegations made against my campaign team and from the best of my knowledge they have not been violating campaign rules”

Plans for the night include: “First of all I need to go home and pray before I can go out. Secondly, my friend is president of the Indian Society and is having a party at Oceana so I will go there. Sorry Andy Hoe.”

Impact asked Ismail about the allegations made that he broke electoral rules during his campaign: “I told my campaign team that it has to be fair. There have been a lot of allegations made against my campaign team and from the best of my knowledge they have not been violating campaign rules. For example someone asked are you bribing students by giving them chocolate? Like that’s not true. Whether they vote for me or not they will get a chocolate. So I deny those claims”.

“I think sometimes other candidates may put forward these claims”.

When asked if he filled in votes Ismail stated: “I personally did not do that and it’s quite hard to prove something like that. I could also say that another candidate did this. So it comes down to how they would monitor this. It’s impossible to get 3000 votes by doing this. I think the majority of people voted on their own accord”.

Round 1:

Ismail Sadurdeen: 3295

Mary McCarthy:2751

Jess Salisbury:1533

Jnonymous (Remembering Jonny Lawrence):664

Emma Connor: 464

Dipen Patel: 177

RON: 69

Round 2:

Ismail Sadurdeen: 3296

Mary McCarthy: 2759

Jess Salisbury: 1534

Jnonymous (Remembering Jonny Lawrence): 670

Emma Connor:465

Dipen Patel: 180

Round 3:

Ismail Sadurdeen: 3319

Mary McCarthy: 2773

Jess Salisbury:1549

Jnonymous (Remembering Jonny Lawrence):699

Emma Connor: 479

Round 4:

Ismail Sadurdeen: 3373

Mary McCarthy: 2833

Jess Salisbury: 1699

Jnonymous (Remembering Jonny Lawrence): 729

Round 5:

Ismail Sadurdeen: 3467

Mary McCarthy: 2938

Jess Salisbury: 1716

Round 6:

Ismail Sadurdeen: 3830

Mary McCarthy: 3316

Round 7: 

Ismail Sadurdeen: 4632

Hannah Eves

Image: Impact Images

Click here for all our coverage of the 2016 SU Elections

NewsSU Elections
  • shalom