Engage initiative increasing participation across the University of Nottingham

University of Nottingham’s new ‘Engage’ initiative, supported by Sport England, has been launched this year in order to increase opportunities and levels of participation in Inter-Mural sporting activities for students across the university.

Over twenty sports are being used for both taster and social sessions, meaning that there is a wide range of sports offered and something for everyone to try.

No sports membership is required and all abilities are welcomed with open arms; there are no trials or set teams, and it is just a case of turning up and playing, meaning there’s no excuse for people not to give it a try!

Engage Beginner sessions run as follows:

These sessions are structured and include the insight of a coach or trainer. Beginner drills will be followed by a game or match to finish. They are open to every single University of Nottingham students, regardless of past experience and levels of ability.

A charge of £3 is mandatory, to be paid to reception, at campus based sessions if you don’t have a Sports Membership.

“Social sessions are aimed at those who simply want to play, rather than be coached”

Sessions on campus come free with the Sports Membership, but please still sign-up at reception. For sessions off campus, booking is required. Please see the Beginner timetable for more information.

Engage Social sessions run as follows:

Social sessions are aimed at those who simply want to play, rather than be coached. Led by one of the university’s student coordinators, sessions will be just games and matches. Once again, these sessions are open to everyone at the university.

Same rules apply, and non-members will need to pay a fee of £3 per session; payment can be made at reception upon arrival.

The sessions come free as part of the Sports Membership for those who have one, but you still need to make sure that you sign up at reception upon arrival for you first session. Do not think that once you’ve been to one session that you have committed to every session, just come along whenever you like!

Having personally participated in Engage sessions such as social Futsal, Badminton and Table Tennis, I can safely say it’s a superb initiative and a lot of fun.

It’s a great way to keep in shape, to meet new people and try sports that you’ve never had the opportunity to before and I would definitely recommend it because there could well be a sport you’re a natural at but you’ll have no idea unless you try it!

Joe Robinson

Follow @ImpactSport on Twitter and ‘Like’ Impact Sport on Facebook