Arty Outings: Christmas at Chatsworth

After drowning in deadlines, dissertation preparation and having to think about *shudder* the future all semester, when my friend invited me on a Christmassy outing to Chatsworth House in Derbyshire to see their themed decorations, I downed the books and jumped at the chance.

If you’ve ever dreamed of being Lizzie Bennett swanning round Pemberley, then head to Chatsworth, which doubled as Pemberley in the 2005 film version. If you like old houses and old things then head for Chatsworth. If you like all of these things plus Christmas, then head to Chatsworth right now, for a perusal of their Christmas decorations.

”From a tree made of ballet shoes, to scuba-diving mice in the evil Mouse King’s dressing room, every space possible in Chatsworth was magically transformed into a place of spectacle, wonder and Christmas joy”

It must have taken some poor soul all year to have come up with the concept of every room, a fact which became apparent as guests were paraded from room to room, all of which contained an element of this year’s theme, The Nutcracker. From a tree made of ballet shoes, to scuba-diving mice in the evil Mouse King’s dressing room, every space possible in Chatsworth was magically transformed into a place of spectacle, wonder and Christmas joy. As we followed the tour route round, we were treated to everything from a wintery wonderland scene in the Chapel, to the Land of Sweets in the Dining Room, which really did look good enough to eat.

Every year Chatsworth go all out on their theme, which in the past have included The Wind in the Willows and Alice in Wonderland, to attract thousands of visitors, most of which appeared to be visiting at the same time as my friend and myself, as it was packed – which did detract slightly from the magical spectacle. A standout space where the crowds finally dispersed was the Painted Hall, which whilst usually resplendent enough with its gorgeous ceiling, was even more wondrous with the addition of a huge Christmas tree!

The addition of special moments, including a dressing room where children and adults alike could try on Nutcracker-esque costumes, (and believe me, it was the kids dragging the mums away!), a real-life ballet dancer in a stunning tutu, and the hiding of cheeky little mice everywhere made the experience personal and humorous.

It was impossible not to feel both Christmassy and in awe of the wonderful house and its contents as we wandered through the many rooms. At the end of the tour comes possibly the best part – the gift shop! I came away with numerous Christmas presents, and was treated by my friend to one of The Nutcracker mice, who is now living in pride of place on my shelf.

“Good day to you sir”

After the gift shop, we headed for the gardens which were glorious. From the Emperor Fountain still spouting despite the cold weather, to the many sculptures and statues displayed in the grounds, myself and my friend spent a solid ten minutes trying to work out the route of carriages to the front door, and then pretended to be in an Austen novel. Good day to you sir.

If this hasn’t convinced you to visit Chatsworth, then head to the Farm Shop and Café next. The mini-Christmas Market and tasty food in the café, is also well worth the trip. So put your ballet shoes on, and head to Chatsworth this Christmas.

Amy Wilcockson

Image Credits: Hannah Close

For more Arty Outings, follow Impact Arts on Facebook and Twitter.

ArtsEntertainment